1. Awesome job at the Disneyland Performing Arts Showcase! It was a rainy morning but a clear afternoon and evening! Thank you to all the parents that helped make it a success. If you were unable to attend, here's a video of their performance courtesy of Mrs. Stockwell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOnJBqU_Vk8&feature=youtu.be
2. The annual Holiday Band & Choir Concert is this Thursday, December 18th at 6:30 p.m. in the Gahr MPR! Come hear the Jazz Band, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, and new Choir program! General admission is just $5 for adults and $3 for non-performing students. We'll also have tamales, baked goods, and refreshments, so come hungry! STUDENTS: CONCERT ATTIRE IS ALL BLACK. JAZZ BAND please purchase a tie from Mr. Loney for $10 if you haven't yet.
3. We're having a Zumba Fundraiser on Saturday, January 10, 2015! Tickets are just $10 and your student receives $5 towards your account for each one sold. Check out tickets from Mr. Loney!
4. Last Tuesday, the City of Artesia recognized the Gahr Marching Gladiators achievement of winning the 2014 California State Band Championships in Division 4A and the California State Band Grand Championships! Now, the ABC Unified School District and the City of Cerritos will also be recognizing us! MARK YOUR CALENDARS! WE NEED ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE GAHR MARCHING GLADIATORS TO BE AT THESE TWO EVENTS WEARING YOUR "DYSTOPIA" FIELD SHOW T-SHIRT & JEANS!**
- Tuesday, January 6, 2015 @ 6:45 p.m. at the ABC Unified School District Building (16700 Norwalk Boulevard, Cerritos, CA 90703)
- Thursday, January 22, 2015 @ 6:15 p.m. at the Cerritos City Hall (18125 Bloomfield Avenue, Cerritos, CA 90703)
**This will count as a performance grade for the Marching Band. We will adjust the Winter Drumline rehearsal conflict on Tuesday, January 6th and shorten the Concert Band after school rehearsal on Thursday, January 22nd.
5. Congratulations to the members of the 2015 Gahr High School Winter Guard and Winter Drumline!! We're excited about the membership and are gearing up for another fun season. Please check your packet for our upcoming rehearsals. Both groups will have rehearsals during winter break to start fundamentals, training, and to start learning the show for the first competition.
6. A Hawaii Payment of $290 was due Friday, December 5th directly to MusicAmerica. Please visit the Hawaii section on our website for more information. This is going to be an exciting and life-changing performance opportunity and trip! DON'T MISS OUT!!! Take advantage of the fundraisers we are doing to help out with your payments. Plan on asking for money to go to Hawaii for your Christmas present!
ALL BLACK CONCERT ATTIRE
Concert attire is all black. Black, long sleeve, button-up, collared dress shirt. Black slacks (no jeans or stripes). Black belt for pants. Black dress shoes and socks. GIRLS: You have the option of wearing an all black dress that goes past the knees. Black school concert dresses are available. If you would like to borrow one of the school black dresses, please see Mrs. Varney following Monday's Concert Band rehearsal. Students that do not have the correct attire will not be allowed to perform at concerts and will not receive credit. For the holiday concert you have the option to wear a festive hat (Santa, antlers, etc.). Jazz Band also wears all black with the jazz band tie. Both guys and girls wear black slacks (dress pants) and a black, button-up, collared dress shirt. All members of the Jazz Band must purchase a solid, shiny necktie available from Mr. Loney for $10.
HAWAII BAND TRIP!
Can you believe we're almost to 2015?! That means the HAWAII BAND & COLOR GUARD TRIP!! The last Hawaii payment of $290 was due Friday, December 5th. Please send all Hawaii payments DIRECTLY to MusicAmerica. Pay online at MusicAmericaEvents.com, by phone (800) 553-4723 ext. 133, or by mail: 218 West Water Street, Suite 400, Charlottesville, VA 22902. Make sure you've turned in the Registration Form & Optional Travel Insurance along with the $50 deposit. If you have any specific questions about the trip, please contact Dean McDowell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Honor Band Music available at break/lunch/after rehearsal
6:40 a.m. Jazz Band ("Big Band Holiday")
3:00 - 6:00 p.m. Concert Band rehearsal (Add "Hanukkah Festival of Lights", Review "Many Sounds of Christmas", "Christmas Parade Sequence")
5:00 - 9:00 p.m. Winter Guard rehearsal - Do your HW and eat after school.
6:40 a.m. Jazz Band (Finish "Big Band Holiday", Review "I'll Be Home")
3:00 - 6:00 p.m. Wind Ensemble rehearsal ("Christmas Time Is Here", Finish "Santa's Journey")
7:00 a.m. Jazz Band (Review all 3 tunes - Run "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" with choir)
6th Period - Move all percussion / stands / chairs into MPR
3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Concert Band rehearsal in MPR
4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Wind Ensemble rehearsal in MPR
3:00 - 6:00 p.m. Winter Guard rehearsal
6:40 a.m. Jazz Band Run-through / Sound Check in MPR
3:00 - 3:45 p.m. Concert Band Run-through / Sound Check in MPR
3:45 - 4:15 p.m. Wind Ensemble Run-through / Sound Check in MPR
6:00 p.m. Doors open
6:30 p.m. Holiday Band & Choir Concert in the MPR!
No Jazz Band
Winter Drumline 1st Payment Due
*Hand Out Drumline & Guard Car Wash Tickets!
*Handing Out Honor Band Music & Festival Music
*Move Equipment Back from MPR
*TAKE HOME INSTRUMENTS & MUSIC TO PRACTICE OVER BREAK
3:00 - 9:00 p.m. Winter Drumline Rehearsal
9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Winter Drumline all day rehearsal
8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Winter Guard all day rehearsal