WINTER GUARD - SILVER MEDAL AT 2015 WGASC AAA CHAMPIONSHIPS!
Congratulations to the 2015 Gahr High School Winter Guard on an incredible season and performance at the 2015 WGASC Championships! The Winter Guard earned 2nd place and a silver medal with their 2015 production, "Kites." A HUGE THANK YOU to our instructors John Arroyo and Lynsey Mickels, our amazing and supportive booster parents, and the hard work & dedication of the members. With more than half of the guard being brand new to the activity - we are very excited about the foundation that has been set and where we can go from here!!
SWAP MEET @ GAHR HS THIS SATURDAY 5/2
The Gahr Instrumental Music Program is having a Swap Meet this Saturday, May 2nd from 8AM-2PM in the Gahr HS Parking Lot on the corner of Artesia & Studebaker!! This can be a very successful way to raise money for your Hawaii Performance Tour AND best of all you'll be clearing out junk that's taking up space in your garage! There is already an advertised eWaste going on at Gahr, as well as the usual weekend sports, so there should be a good amount of foot traffic!
- Each family will be given two parking spaces to "set up shop." We will be able to provide one long tables and chairs, but you will need to bring everything else you need - such as EZ-UPs, additional tables, etc.
- Please arrive by 7AM on Saturday to set up your booth. We will be using the small parking lot by the Child Care building / tennis courts. Please have everything ready by 7:45AM so we can open the gates promptly at 8AM.
- If you have large items that need to be dropped off and stored the night before, we will have the Band Room open from 3-6PM on Friday (5/1). Please make arrangements with Mr. Loney or Mrs. Varney.
- There must be a parent/guardian or older family member to accompany your child. We don't want students running the booth and collecting money by themselves or for items to be unattended.
- You may sell whatever you'd like and set your own prices! Read below for a great list of suggestions. You may even sell food - but you will need to be responsible for your own power/gas, trash, and clean up.
- The Swap Meet is scheduled to run until 2PM. You may pack up early if you would like. Please make sure if you borrow a table/chairs that they get returned.
- You keep 100% of the profits for the items you sell. These can be used towards Hawaii payments, Hawaii spending money, or your student band account.
- PRINT THE FLYER AND HELP SPREAD THE WORD!!
CASH4SHOOZ DROP OFF THIS WEEK
Spring cleaning? Have more shoes than a shoe store?? We’re collecting old & used shoes this week! Rubber-band or tie each pair of matching shoes together and put them into a trash bag. FOR THIS TO BE SUCCESSFUL WE NEED ONE TRASH BAG OF SHOES PER FAMILY. Drop them off at the Band Room (703) OR bring them on May 2, 2015 to the SHOEMOBILE located at the Swap Meet. Thank you!!
CHANGE: MONDAY BAND REHEARSALS
As we gear up for our special upcoming Hawaii Performance Tour and because the music for the trip is combined band, we will be changing Monday's rehearsals to "wind sectionals." This will be a day where we will go through the most challenging and difficult parts of our music. On Thursdays, we will have our normal Concert Band rehearsal to put everything together and combine with percussion. While both of these days were originally scheduled to run from 3:00-5:30 p.m., we will be shortening the rehearsals unless it becomes necessary to practice the entire time. This Monday (4/27) will be woodwinds only (both Wind Ensemble & Concert Band) from 3-4PM going through the "Washington Post March."
AWARDS BANQUET - SUNDAY, MAY 31ST
Please join us Sunday, May 31st at 1:30 p.m. for our annual Awards Banquet! We’re celebrating an incredible year for the Gahr High School Instrumental Music Program! The banquet is just $15 per person to help cover lunch and awards. Please dress nicely. RSVPs are due with money by Friday, May 8th in the drop box. We look forward to celebrating the accomplishments of our students with you!
Make sure all outstanding donations and obligations for marching band, drumline, and guard have been turned in. We are unable to pay our staff without these funds. In addition to purchasing a Gahr ASB Card, all students should have turned in a $25 transportation fee to Gahr High School ASB. Students will not be able to go to grad night, prom, or graduate without meeting these obligations.
HAWAII PERFORMANCE TOUR MEETING 6/3
We're less than 70 days from our band trip to Hawaii!! The last payment to MusicAmerica is due Wednesday, May 27th. We have a mandatory Hawaii Tour Meeting on Wednesday, June 3rd at 7PM in the Band Room. UPDATED PHONE NUMBER: If you have any questions about your account balance please call MusicAmerica at (434) 284-9787 and ask for Gaby. You can also make payments over the phone with a credit card. For more info visit www.gahrband.org/hawaii or feel free to contact our Band Booster President, Dee Dee Varney, firstname.lastname@example.org or at (562) 413-3068.
ATHLETIC PACKET CLEARANCE DUE 5/15
All current 8th graders, freshmen, sophomores, and juniors must complete the Gahr Athletic Packet available from Dulce Caldwell in the counseling office (bring your student ID). Students must do a physical exam (available for around $10 at Gahr and surrounding physician's offices and are usually 5-10 minutes with no appointment necessary). ATHLETIC PACKETS ARE DUE FRIDAY, MAY 15TH.
6:44 a.m. Jazz Band
5th Period - Wind Ensemble VS. ASB Ultimate Frisbee Game during class!! Hydrate / wear comfortable clothes! The loser throws a potluck for the other organization.
3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Woodwinds Sectional on "Washington Post March" (all woodwinds)
6:44 a.m. Jazz Band
No Jazz Band
6:44 a.m. Jazz Band
3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Full Concert Band ("How To Train Your Dragon" & "Pixar Movie Magic")
6:44 a.m. Jazz Band
3:00 - 6:00 p.m. Swap Meet item drop off / overnight storage in Band Room
Swap Meet @ Gahr High School & CASH4SHOOZ Drop Off!
7:00 a.m. Start setting up booths in small parking lot on Artesia & Studebaker (by Child Care Center)
7:45 a.m. Booths finished being set up
8:00 a.m. Gates open! Swap Meet & Shoe Drop off
1:00 p.m. Start cleaning up / Put away tables & chairs
2:00 p.m. Done. If you have eWaste you do weren't able to sell, consider donating it to the Gahr HS wrestling program :)